Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Wildflower Update

Over the past few weeks I've accumulated a significant collection of wildflower photos. So far I've photographed nearly 60 different species of flower - with, hopefully, more to come as the fall approaches. I hope you enjoy the flower photos as much as I do!



Bull Thistle

Ostensibly an invasive "weed", the bull thistle is an impressive plant. It is also vitally important to various species of birds and bees.







Butter-and-eggs

A great name, a pretty flower.






Crown Vetch

A beautiful flower Jackie and I found during our hike up Point Mountain in New Jersey's Hunterdon County.





Deptford Pink

The typical "pink": small, beautiful, and unassuming.






Enchanter's Nightshade

One of my favorite flower names. Don't get too close to this one!






Heal-all

This "weed" apparently helps heal sore throats.






Pennsylvania Smartweed

Looks similar to Lady's Thumb. I'm 80% sure that this photo is of the smartweed. Has medicinal benefits.





Oxeye Daisy

She loves me, she loves me not.






Pale Touch-me-not

The larger and yellower sister of spotted touch-me-not.






Prairie Rose

Photographed years ago in the Delaware Water Gap.






Purple Coneflower

Jackie and I walked through fields of these large, colorful flowers last week.





Sneezeweed

One version of how this plant received its name is as follows: early settlers used to snort it (when dried) to sneeze out evil spirits.





Swamp Rose Mallow

With its six inch flowers, it may be my favorite of all our native wildflowers.





Trumpet Creeper

A native vine with colorful flowers. You may have seen this growing along fences or the highway.






Water Plantain


A very interesting plant; it intrigues me.







White Campion

A traveler from Europe that fits in well in an American meadow.






White Snakeroot

Poisonous! Don't touch!







Wild Basil

Pretty flowers, delicious herb.








Wood Nettle

Don't touch! Nettle stings can last for over three days. I know from personal experience: the day of my high school prom I received a nasty sting from a nettle that didn't go away for some time.







Yellow Wood Sorrel

I used to eat the leaves with my friends when I was kid. They have a funny, sour taste.





Golden Ragwort

Jackie and I found this ragwort over a year ago; it was growing near the Delaware and Raritan Canal in July.

No comments: