Thursday, March 24, 2011

The First Wildflower of Spring: Skunk Cabbage and the Advent of Fly Fishing Season

Just a brief note:
As a fly fisherman, I have the opportunity to see hundreds of different wildflowers each year. The blooming periods for specific flowers also mirror the hatching patterns of different water insects. For example, when trout lily blooms at Penns Creek in Centre County, Pennsylvania, it often means the grannom caddis hatch is underway.

In March, the bloom of skunk cabbage suggests that blue-winged olives are hatching. It also means that trout fishing is about to pick up in earnest.

Above is an image of the first skunk cabbage of the year. Northeast fly fishermen should be tying those baetis imitations!

2 comments:

Passinthru Outdoors said...

I never associated skunk cabbage to the BWO hatch.....only the Black Bear Hatch!!! See I learn something new everyday.

Thanks for sharing.

Passinthru Outdoors Blog - Sharing the Passion

Matthew Bruen said...

Thanks for reading! I love your blog, by the way. I think I need to self-impose a weekly posting schedule like you have lined up. That's very admirable!