Friday, May 23, 2008

Trout Update #5: Stony Brook

So today I went to Stony Brook, which is in the town of Princeton. I had read that New Jersey stocked the stream a few times a year, so a few weeks back I decided to check it out. That day I missed one trout, but could tell the river had been fished quite heavily since opening day. In my return to this pleasant brook, I caught seven rainbow trout on bead head nymphs (pheasant tail and hare's ear). It was a delightful evening; in fact, it was everything yesterday at the Upper Delaware was supposed to be. However, Stony Brook is 9 miles from where I live; the Delaware is 190. I also caught several (maybe 20) other fish, including rock bass, bluegill, small mouth bass, large mouth bass, and sucker. Wow. I had a ton of fun. I'll be back for sure. I met a guy who told me it turns into a decent small mouth bass fishery in the heat of summer. 9 miles away. Wow.

Overall Total: 31


River Breakdown:

Raritan River, South Branch - 12 (6 Stocked Brook, 4 Stocked Brown, 1 Wild Brook, 1 Wild Brown)
Stony Brook - 7 (7 Stocked Rainbow)
Brodhead Creek - 4 (3 Stocked Brown, 1 Stocked Rainbow)
Faulkner Brook - 3 (3 Wild Brook)
Pequest River - 3 (3 Stocked Brown)
Lawrence Brook - 1 (1 Stocked Brook)
Musconetcong River - 1 (1 Stocked Brown)


Species Breakdown:

Brown Trout - 12
Stocked - 11
Wild - 1


Brook Trout - 11
Stocked - 7
Wild - 4

Rainbow Trout - 8
Stocked - 8
Wild - 0


Stocked Trout - 26
Wild Trout - 5


Trout 15+ Inches: 0


Angling Breakdown:

Fly Fishing Rod - 20 (7 Stocked Brook, 7 Stocked Rainbow, 4 Stocked Brown, 1 Wild Brook, 1 Wild Brown)

Spinning Rod - 11 (7 Stocked Brown, 3 Wild Brook, 1 Stocked Rainbow)

No comments: